In this article, we will go through some of the most important features of each surgery so that you can better understand which one is right for you.
Which Procedure is Right For You?
Choosing between breast liposuction or breast reduction is a deeply personal decision worthy of careful consideration.
|Breast Reduction||Breast Liposuction|
|Results||More drastic change in the overall size of your breasts||Targeted removal of fat deposits|
|Anaesthetic||General||General, local, or sedation|
|Full Recovery||6 weeks||2-3 weeks|
|Key Benefits||Reduced back pain; prevents rashes; facilitates an active lifestyle||Less invasive; removes stubborn fat; improved appearance; smaller nipple area|
|Price||From £8,900||From £4,500|
Breast Reduction Surgery
A breast reduction reduces the size of your breasts by removing the necessary quantity of tissue, then sculpting the breasts and restoring them to your preferred size and shape.
Benefits of Breast Reduction Surgery
There are a host of important benefits to a breast reduction procedure. Here are a few important examples:
- Reduces back pain – Large, heavy breasts can cause a curvature in the spine. By reducing the size of the breasts, patients report their breast reduction to alleviate associated chronic back pain.
- Prevents rashes – The excess weight and moisture brought by larger breasts can create skin infections such as intertrigo. Reducing the size of your breast will help alleviate these symptoms.
- Active lifestyle – By lightening the weight on the front of your body, a breast reduction can make exercise and outdoor activities less difficult, opening up possibilities for a whole new, more active lifestyle.
How Much Does Breast Reduction Surgery Cost?
Understanding the potential cost of a breast reduction will be a vital part of your planning process.
At the CREO Clinic in London, a breast reduction starts from £8,900.
However, every surgery we perform is tailored specifically to the needs of the patient, so a full cost breakdown won’t be available until after your initial consultation. You’ll also discuss any breast reduction financing options.
Breast Reduction Procedure
Depending on how much of a reduction you would like to see in your breast size, the incisions used in your breast reduction will vary.
During the planning stages, your surgeon will ensure you are fully aware of the pros and cons of each technique so that you can decide which is most likely to suit your desired outcomes.
How Long is Breast Reduction Recovery?
Breast reduction recovery will vary from patient to patient, and your surgeon will provide you with the necessary aftercare instructions prior to leaving the hospital.
When you return home after your surgery, the treatment areas around your breasts may be swollen and tender. Over the next 2–3 weeks, the swelling will subside. Then, after six weeks, you should be able to return to your regular day-to-day routine.
When Can You See Breast Reduction Results?
Immediately after surgery, you will be able to appreciate your significantly smaller and lighter chest now that the required amount of excess tissue has been removed.
However, only when the swelling has subsided completely will the results be fully visible. Generally, after three months have passed, you should be able to see the final results of your breast reduction.
Breast Reduction Liposuction
Employing liposuction as a method to reduce breast size is different from breast reduction surgery.
Breast reductions remove tissue and excess skin, whilst breast liposuction works to remove only fat, not skin or glandular tissue, which can have some notable advantages.
Benefits of Breast Liposuction
As a way to deal with stubborn fat deposits, breast liposuction can be an excellent solution.
It is a minimally invasive way to reduce fat pockets and can help you achieve a variety of goals for your breasts, such as:
- Less invasive – Breast liposuction requires fewer and smaller incisions than a breast reduction
- Removes fat – Breast liposuction is an excellent solution to stubborn fat that can’t be treated with diet and exercise alone
- Improved appearance – Reducing the weight in your breasts can allow them to sit higher and look perkier, as gravity will pull down on them less.
- Smaller nipple area – When breasts are very heavy, this can stretch your nipples in the long term. Removing some weight can allow them to shrink, giving your breasts a neater, more symmetrical look.
- A new wardrobe – Having smaller breasts can be the path to fresh new clothing options that weren’t available previously. You will be able to experiment with new styles when it comes to what to wear after your breast reduction.
How Much Does Breast Liposuction Cost?
At the CREO Clinic in London, liposuction costs vary depending on how many areas you would like to treat.
Breast liposuction counts as one large area, and therefore prices begin at £4,500, but the final cost breakdown will only be available after the first consultation, as each surgery is bespoke and tailored to your individual needs.
Breast Liposuction Procedure
Breast liposuction requires making a small incision under the breast, then inserting a cannula to break down and remove the target fat deposits. Once enough fat has been removed, the incision is sealed back up.
The procedure can be performed under general anaesthetic, sedation, or local anaesthetic.
How Long is Breast Liposuction Recovery?
Recovery from breast liposuction is relatively short.
In the days immediately after your surgery, it is likely you will feel some discomfort and swelling.
You will also need to make some temporary changes to your workout routine. After 2-3 days, you may be able to resume light activities, such as work. Then, after 2-3 weeks, you can most likely return to your full exercise regime.
When Can You See Breast Liposuction Results?
Immediately after your breast reduction, your chest will appear smaller now that the excess fat deposits have been removed, providing a notably more contoured upper body.
However, the final results of your breast liposuction will only become clear after 6-12 months, when swelling has fully subsided.
Pros and Cons of Breast Reduction Surgery
Like any surgery, breast reduction comes with its own advantages and drawbacks:
Pros of Breast Reduction
There are several key benefits of breast reduction:
- Reduced chafing – smaller breasts mean less friction against your clothing, preventing rashes and increasing overall comfort.
- Better posture – reducing the weight that pulls your chest towards the ground can help to restore a straighter, more upright posture.
- More confidence – the transformative effect of a breast reduction can bring fresh confidence in the way your body looks and feels
Cons of Breast Reduction
It’s also important to consider the potential cons of breast reduction:
- This procedure requires the use of general anaesthetic
- Relatively long recovery period – You will not be able to return to your full exercise routine (including heavy lifting) until at least three months after the surgery.
- All surgeries carry some risks, however small – Your surgeon will make sure you are fully aware of these risks in the planning stages.
Pros and Cons of Breast Liposuction
Here are some of breast liposuction’s benefits and drawbacks:
Pros of Breast Liposuction
There are several key benefits of breast liposuction:
- Minimally invasive – Requiring only small incisions and local anaesthetic, liposuction does not interrupt your lifestyle as much as other surgeries.
- Small scars – Breast reduction will leave thin scars around the nipple, or possibly around the nipple and under the breast crease, depending on the techniques used. Breast liposuction, on the other hand, results in one small scar.
- Lifts the nipple – Liposuction can help raise the nipple, giving your breasts a natural-looking perkiness.
Cons of Breast Liposuction
There are several limitations of breast liposuction:
- Breast liposuction is limited in its scope – It is therefore not suitable for making drastic changes to the size of your breasts.
- Limited in the extent to which it can sculpt and reshape the breasts – Compared to a more extensive breast reduction procedure.
Schedule a Consultation with CREO Clinic Today
If you wish to better understand how a breast reduction or breast liposuction could benefit you, book a consultation with Dr Omar Tillo, the CREO Clinic’s specialist cosmetic surgeon.
Dr. Tillo can I help you decide what surgery will suit your circumstances and work with you to create a bespoke treatment plan that will satisfy your needs.