Breast reduction surgery can help women achieve a more proportionate figure while addressing medical conditions associated with large, cumbersome breasts.
In this article, we will discuss some of the potential pros and cons of breast reduction surgery, so you can be better informed as to whether it could be worthwhile for you.
If you are considering breast reduction surgery, Dr. Tillo has a wealth of experience conducting breast reductions of varying complexities and is best placed to help you reach your body ideals, free from drooping breasts.
Pros and Cons of Breast Reduction
There are various pros and cons of breast reduction surgery:
Pros of Breast Reduction
- A breast reduction can help to achieve a more proportionate figure, which can provide a significant boost in confidence for many women.
- One of the most common reasons for breast reduction is the associated chronic pain caused by large breasts. By reducing the size of the bust, women report significant improvements in neck, shoulder and lower back pain.
- A breast reduction can often make engaging in exercise more accessible by removing the restrictions caused by a large, heavy chest.
- Many women suffer from skin irritation caused by the chafing of skin folds between or under large breasts. By removing the excess tissue via a reduction, many women are relieved from these uncomfortable conditions.
Cons of Breast Reduction
- A breast reduction involves a surgeon making incisions to remove the excess breast tissue, causing some inevitable degree of scarring. However, the exact size and visibility of breast reduction scarring are dependent on the surgical techniques used. Overall, with the right aftercare, scars should gradually fade into faint, white lines.
- Although women are able to breastfeed after a breast reduction, this surgery may impact the amount of milk that is produced.
- Like any surgery, a breast reduction requires some degree of downtime. Women may experience side effects such as redness and swelling and are encouraged to avoid physically taxing activities for up to 6 weeks.
How Much Does Breast Reduction Cost?
The cost of a breast reduction at the CREO Clinic starts from £8,900.
The exact price breakdown will vary from patient to patient, depending on each individual’s unique needs. For this reason, patients will only receive an exact cost and breast reduction financing options following a consultation with Dr Tillo.
What No One Tells You About Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast Reduction May Be Covered By Insurance
Insurance coverage for a breast reduction may be possible as it can often be considered medically necessary.
For example, patients suffering from chronic pain or skin conditions caused by chafing, such as Intertrigo, may be deemed eligible for a breast reduction through their insurer. Therefore, patients are advised to speak to their insurer to discuss their treatment plan and their eligibility for the procedure.
Breast Lift is Often Included
Although a breast reduction and breast lift are different cosmetic procedures in their own right, they both ‘lift’ the breasts by reducing the size of the areola and lifting the nipple into a higher location.
The main difference between both procedures is that a reduction also includes excising excess tissue, producing smaller, perkier breasts.
Nipple Sensation May Change Temporarily
The nerves around the nipples are small and can become damaged when incisions are made during a breast reduction, causing changes in sensitivity.
This is usually a temporary side effect, though some patients may have a permanent loss of sensation. For this reason, it’s important that patients consult with an experienced surgeon to minimise the risk of nerve damage.
Breast Reduction Isn’t Just For Women
A common misconception is that breast reduction is a female-only surgery. In fact, a male breast reduction, or gynecomastia surgery, can be performed to create a flatter and more contoured chest by removing excess skin and breast tissue.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Reduction
A full consultation will be carried out with your surgeon to determine your suitability for a breast reduction.
In general, a breast reduction is ideal for patients with aesthetic concerns pertaining to large, disproportionate breasts or for treating associated medical conditions like chronic pain or skin irritation.
Schedule a Consultation with CREO Clinic Today
If you are looking to reduce the size of your breasts to achieve a more proportionate, comfortable chest, contact the CREO Clinic to book a consultation with Dr. Omar Tillo and determine your eligibility for breast reduction surgery.